A wet grinder is one of the heavy-duty appliances in Indian kitchens. It consists of two or three stones rolled one against another that prepares batter with any sort of raw materials along with the water. Choosing the best-wet grinder with the right capacity, motor, stone, and others, the wet grinder can perform better for long years.
Can wet grinder be used for dry grinding
A wet grinder should grind the ingredients using liquids. Otherwise, it may lead to damage to the grinder. Even though it is possible to grind the dry ingredients in a wet grinder, it ends up with an absolute mess which is very tough to clean. There is some difference between wet grinder and dry grinder.
How to use a wet grinder for the first time
By following a few steps before using the wet grinder for the first time, it performs well.
- Open the wet grinder box and remove the lid on the drum.
- Next, remove the rolling stones by pulling up, remove the drum from the grinder and keep it out of the grinder.
- Now wash the drum, rolling stones, and lid with water and dry them using a cotton cloth.
- Fit the drum, rolling stones, and lid in their places perfectly.
- To remove the dust placed in the grinder, pour 1 cup of sunflower oil into the drum and close the lid.
- Run the wet grinder for 20 minutes. Now you can observe a lot of dust present in the oil in the drum.
- Turn off the wet grinder, remove the rolling stones and drum and wash them using soap.
- Wash them using water and dry them using a cotton cloth.
- Now it is ready to use, you can add little quantity of items slowly and grind the batter until you get the desired particle size.
Which wet grinder is best in India
Elgi Ultra Grind + Gold 2-litre Table Top Wet Grinder is one of the best-wet grinders in India. Butterfly Smart Wet Grinder, Panasonic MK-SW200BLK Wet Grinder, and Prestige PWG 07 Wet Grinder are some of the best-wet grinders in India.
Which type of motor is used in the wet grinder
Single-phase induction motor which is a capacitor start-induction run motor is used in the wet grinder.
Which company is the wet grinder best in India
Elgi Ultra is a trendy brand for wet grinders in India. Butterfly Rapid Plus, Havells Alia, Panasonic, Prestige PWG 07, and Preethi Iconic are a few popular brands for wet grinders.
Which watt wet grinder is best
The range between 150 W to 200W is best for wet grinders.
Which stone is used in a wet grinder
Granite stones are used in wet grinders. They rotate inside a metal drum using an electric motor and the ingredients get crushed between these stones. These stones do not chip or break during the grinding process.
How to sharpen wet grinder stones at home
After using the wet grinder for long years, it gets a smooth surface and does not grind the ingredients into a smooth paste. Then the stones need to be sharpened for better working. We can sharpen the stones at our home itself by following simple steps.
- To sharpen the stones, you need a hammer and a chisel. First, place the wet grinder on the floor on a clean cloth and remove the drum and stones from the grinder.
- Place the drum on the floor and place the chisel straight on the drum stone, hit on the chisel using a hammer, and make a little hole. Repeat the same process in different places on the drum stone to sharpen it.
- Repeat this process on the roller stones also for making them sharpen.
Now your grinder is sharpened and performs well in resulting smooth pastes.
Note: A chisel is available at hardware shops.
Can we carry a wet grinder in flight
Yes, you can carry a wet grinder in flight. But I suggest you ensure whether your airline is allowing the grinders regarding the size and weight of your wet grinder.
How to grind dosa batter in a wet grinder
The grinding process of dosa batter in a wet grinder is very simple.
- After the soaking process is done for urad dal, fenugreek seeds, and rice, wash them 3 to 4 times or until the water becomes clear as you can see the da and rice through the water.
- Drain the complete water from the ingredients and turn on the wet grinder.
- Slowly add ½ cup of water and a little amount of urad dal to the running drum.
- Add fenugreek seeds to them and grind the batter for 20 minutes until it gets a fluffy and smooth consistency. Add ¼ cup of water every 5-10 minutes if necessary.
- To check its consistency you can add a little amount of batter and drop it into the glass of water. If the batter float, its consistency is perfect.
- Turn off the grinder and remove the dal batter.
- Again turn on the grinder and slowly add soaked rice and 1 cup of water. After 5 minutes add 1 cup of water once again and grind it for 30- 35 minutes until it gets a smooth texture. You can add water if required.
- Turn off the grinder and add this rice batter to the dal batter and mix it thoroughly with your clean hands.
- Add the rock salt and mix gently. Add water if required.
Now, the dosa batter is ready to cook.
How to clean a wet grinder
After the completion of the grinding process, you need to clean all the parts perfectly. By following simple steps, you can clean them easily.
- After removing the batter from the grinder, place the roller stones in the grinder at their places.
- Now turn on the grinder and add 1 cup of water, then it starts leaving the batter from the stones. You can place your hand on the stones to remove the batter easily while running.
- Add some more water and run for 2 minutes. It will be cleaned.
- Now remove the roller stones and drum from the grinder and clean them using water & soap. You can also use the brush too deep to clean them.
- You can also use chemicals like baking powder, lemons, and vinegar for cleaning purposes.
- For lemon cleaning, rub the lemon peels on all the parts, stones, drums, and insides properly. It removes the pungent smell and any stubborn stains on the machine.
- For baking powder cleaning, make a paste of baking powder and water and apply it to grinding stones and let it stay for 20 minutes. Now clean them with water. It removes odours and gets rid of junk.
- For vinegar cleaning, add two tablespoons of vinegar to the wet grinder parts and spin the grinder for even distribution to each corner of the machine. After that, remove the stones and drum and wash them with water. It removes all the junk.
However, maintenance and cleaning of the wet grinder are quite easy. By following the above cleaning and maintenance methods, the durability of your wet grinder increases. Even though the stones become softer and not grinding perfectly due to over-usage, you can sharpen them at your home itself.